There are a number of ways to make these pallet beds or hammocks to enjoy the outdoors with all the comfort that a self-built pallet hammock can provide, and they can be as simple as using a pallet and rope.
But as in all design and construction there are some details that must be paid attention to so that the design is fluid and we can have our pallet bed finished as soon as possible.
How to make your pallet hammock bed
What you need:
- pallets (tarimas)
- 2×4 lumber (we used three 8-foot pieces)
- measuring tape
- mattress or cushion (we use a standard double mattress)
- 2 zippered mattress covers *
How to do it:
- Measure the size of the mattress or cushion that you are putting on the pallet and find out how many pallets you will have to use to fit your mattress. We use 2 pallets and add additional pieces in the middle to get the right length for ours. (We added 12 inches to the stocking. The overall length of our platform was 80 inches.) Take into account the space you need for the rope at the ends.
- Slide the 2 x 4 lumber through the inside of the pallets, one on each inside edge of the pallet and one down the middle.
- Screw the 2 x 4 to the sides and the middle of the pallet.
4. If necessary, add additional boards from another pallet to your main piece, we add two boards from a damaged pallet to the middle of ours.
5. Cut the remaining 2 x 4s beyond the length of the pallet.
6. Drill holes in the four corners of the pallet, both the top and bottom plates of the pallet. Make sure the hole is big enough for the rope to go through.
7. Thread the rope through the hole, making sure the rope goes under the bottom of the deck and into the 2×4 (see photo below). Tie firmly.
8. Tie the rope firmly to the tree.
9. Insert the mattress into the vinyl covers. Place on top of the hammock.
* Not necessary, but will keep your mattress dry and protected.