While scientists and doctors around the world research substances of natural origin, such as spices, vegetables and herbs and thus discover their fat burning properties, turmeric has already been endorsed by many of them. Would you like to know how turmeric can help you on your weight loss mission ? Then keep reading.
Turmeric a “miracle” spice
Turmeric is used in the cuisines of the Indian subcontinent and various other parts of the world for its earthy taste and bright color. It has several health benefits, and weight loss is one of them.
Turmeric has the following health benefits
- It is anti-inflammatory in nature. As a result, it helps those who have painful joints and related conditions like arthritis. Also, unlike anti-inflammatory drugs, turmeric has no side effects.
- It has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. Therefore, if you have an injury, turmeric can speed up the healing process.
- Recent research shows that turmeric possesses several chemicals that can be attributed to protection against Alzheimer’s disease .
- Turmeric gives your immune system a healthy boost. It even protects and fights against certain types of cancer like breast cancer and melanoma.
- It has been used as an anti-depressant in China for centuries.
- This helps in the elimination of toxins accumulated in the liver.
How Turmeric Causes Weight Loss
There are many theories that explain how turmeric helps you lose weight . There are two ways that people get “fat” or have weight gain. One is the overgrowth of the size of fat cells.
The other is an excess of multiplication of fat cells, that is, the number of cells that are presented. If any of these processes can be slowed down, weight loss would be possible .
Turmeric contains curcumin , which inhibits cell division in adipocytes (fat cells) by reducing the amount of blood that flows into these cells. Due to the lack of incoming nutrients from fresh blood, the fat cells do not increase in number.
Another way that turmeric aids in weight loss is by regulating sugar levels and preventing insulin resistance. As a result, excess fat is not kept in your body.
Overweight and obese people are more likely to have diabetes. Eating turmeric keeps you safe from this condition.
Regular consumption of turmeric has been proven to increase the bile present in the stomach. Bile is a digestive juice that helps emulsify fat and therefore its metabolism. So this is another way that turmeric is effective in weight loss.
Turmeric lowers cholesterol
Studies have linked turmeric directly to aiding in lowering blood cholesterol . The curcumin present in turmeric affects low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (also known as ” bad cholesterol “).
In a scientific study carried out on rabbits, it was observed that not only the regular consumption of turmeric reduces LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, but also prevents getting oxidized LDL.
Oxidized LDL is responsible for atherosclerosis – a condition in which the blood vessels in and around the heart constrict due to the deposition of cholesterol on the walls of the heart.
However, these experiments and studies have only been done on rats and rabbits, but not on humans. What works in one mammal may not be as effective in another mammal.
But, even if we assume that the success rate is the same in humans as it is in rats and rabbits, it is not a complete cure. Anywhere between half and a third of the animals in the study frame showed significant results.
Furthermore, the dose varies between animals with such a disparity in the sizes of humans and rats. Thus, there is no way to determine what dose of turmeric per day would produce beneficial results in humans.
The turmeric diet for weight loss
As with all fads, when there is any hint of a substance showing promise in weight loss solutions , different diets and regimens emerge incorporating turmeric.
One of them is the turmeric diet which essentially involves eating it straight. There are two ways to do it:
1. Spices and supplements:
Turmeric is a well-known spice used in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Morocco, etc. Therefore, it is not difficult to incorporate into your regular diet.
Just add some turmeric powder to your spice mix and observe its bright orange color. Also it s and can drink as tea infusion.
If all else fails, you can buy turmeric supplements at the drugstore. Try pairing turmeric with pepper as it increases the bioavailability of the spice.
You can even make a smoothie with veggies like cabbage and kale and just add a handful of turmeric to it. In India, turmeric in milk is given to children to give strength and increase development.
You can prepare a delicious cream with carrot and turmeric, which in addition to being delicious and contributing to your goal of losing weight, is excellent for people suffering from chronic inflammation, fibromyalgia, arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
- Anything in excess can be bad, and the same principle applies for turmeric as well. First of all, it’s never a good idea to supplement anything that can be easily found in an organic way. So, try using the powder, or better yet, use the raw roots instead of taking supplements .
- You should also be careful with the dosage. It is recommended to limit the consumption of turmeric daily to 1,500 mg. For best results, 500 mg is sufficient.
- Other than that, many people suffer from allergic reactions to turmeric, and reactions can range from mild swelling and itching to violent bouts of diarrhea, gastric discomfort, and nausea. If you develop rashes with the use of a lotion that contains it, do not ingest the spice.
- Also, as already mentioned, turmeric increases bile production. The used bile is stored in the gallbladder. Increased bile secretion can aggravate gallbladder problems and form stones in the gallbladder or duct.
- Although it is known to be anti-inflammatory, turmeric can act as a stimulant of gastric acid secretion. If you already suffer from acid reflux or hyperacidity, it can make the situation worse.
- If you feel any discomfort or pain after taking turmeric, consult a professional and seek medical help.