Rosemary oil is a type of essential oil that can be a great ally to treat from minor health problems to being used in beauty treatments, all thanks to its powerful healing qualities that make it a great option for both health problems and its uses in beauty treatments.
The healing qualities of rosemary oil can be classified in many ways, among its main benefits we can highlight that rosemary oil is ideal for relieving pain and improving mood , among many other uses that we can give it.
There is something just lovely about rosemary herb. Maybe it’s the aromatic woody fragrance and simple beauty of its leaves or maybe it’s the delicate flavor that rosemary brings to soups, stews, and prepared teas. But so does the powerful healing qualities of rosemary essential oil.
What is rosemary?
Rosemary is a lovely green shrub with pale blue flowers and elongated needle-like leaves. The aromatic leaves and part of the flowers are used for the production of essential oil. Although native to the coastal regions of North Africa and the Mediterranean, today rosemary grows in other parts of the world and is very prolific.
It takes its name from ” Rosmarinus “, a Latin term that means “dew of the sea.”
In ancient times, rosemary was used as the universal symbol of memory. In Egypt, sprigs of rosemary were placed through coffins or tombs and it has been determined that this tradition continued well into the Middle Ages and beyond.
During the Middle Ages, rosemary was associated with wedding ceremonies . The bride would wear a rosemary headpiece and the groom and the wedding guests would wear a sprig of rosemary. This tradition continued and later in history, newly married couples planted a rosemary branch on their wedding day. If the branch grew, it boded well for the union and the family.
Throughout history, rosemary oil has been used as a physical and mental stimulant , as well as a remedy for muscle and joint pain, forgetfulness, indigestion, and headaches.
How is rosemary oil used?
Rosemary essential oil has many outstanding qualities. It is an effective antiseptic and an antibacterial and antifungal agent. It also has excellent antioxidant properties.
Like lavender , rosemary is one of the few essential oils that can be safely applied to the skin in its undiluted form. Keep in mind, however, that for safety reasons, undiluted rosemary oil should not be used by pregnant women . (This warning applies to all essential oils, not just rosemary.) It is also advisable to always consult a specialist if you have any questions.
Here we offer you 12 of the most practical applications of rosemary oil to improve your quality of life. Each use has been tested over time and promotes both healing and long-term well-being, however each of them is recommended to be indicated or supervised by a specialist in case of any doubt.
12 uses of rosemary essential oil
1. Muscle and joint pain: Applied topically, rosemary oil provides an effective treatment for muscle pain and arthritis. It also helps circulation. It works especially well in combination with lavender and peppermint essential oils.
2. Heal wounds: Use sparingly on cuts and scrapes to accelerate wound healing
3. Physical and mental stimulation: Use it during the bath to help in the relief of both muscle pain and mental fatigue .
4. Relieves anxiety and stress: Rosemary reduces anxiety , even more so when combined with lavender oil, it reduces stress by calming and relaxing the nerves.
5. Soothe and heal rough scaly skin: A few drops of rosemary oil mixed with a carrier oil like coconut oil reduces itching and irritation and treats dry skin caused by psoriasis , eczema and dermatitis.
6. Reduce bad breath and provide oral health: When mixed with water, a few drops of rosemary oil help to get rid of halitosis. Also, by killing bacteria, rosemary essential oil can prevent gingivitis and excess plaque build-up.
7. Treat headaches: Apply a drop of oil to the forehead or sides of the temple to relieve tension headaches and migraines .
8. Treat respiratory problems and congestion: Inhale or use this oil aromatically to help with congestion associated with allergies, colds, flu, and respiratory infections .
9. Promote healthy hair and scalp: A few drops in the shampoo or conditioner stimulates hair follicles and hair growth , and also provides relief for itchy scalp and dandruff.
10. Improve concentration and memory: Rosemary increases your ability to concentrate and remember things.
11. Repels insects: Diluted in water, rosemary essential oil in a spray bottle repels flies and mosquitoes.
12. Control and prevent acne: Apply topically to reduce the production of sebum that causes breakouts.
As you can see, rosemary oil has a large number of uses both at home and in the body to improve health and also help improve hair and skin. You can start using it as a new ally for your body.