Proper bathroom hygiene is a must in every home. However, it is not readily available at times despite spending a fortune on expensive and toxic bathroom cleaners. However, there are already more and more ways to make the toilet bowl disinfected without resorting to these products that cause severe damage to the skin and lungs, and it is through natural and homemade ways. There are pills to disinfect the toilet bowl that you can make yourself at home. Read on to see how.
Toxic bathroom cleaners
Commercial bathroom cleaners can be high in harmful ingredients, such as bleach, which is dangerous for the lungs. The chlorine included in bleach, when combined with any type of acid, forms a toxic gas.
On the other hand, it acts as an irritant and corrosive, destroying everything with which it comes into direct contact. In addition, these cleaning products have between 10% and 50% hydrochloric acid, which in case of inhalation, irritates the respiratory tract and kidney damage.
There are even some types that include fragrances, which can lead to headaches, lung irritation, or allergic reactions, while others also contain hormone disruptors. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid these types of products.
Tablets to disinfect the toilet bowl naturally
However, we are going to offer you a healthy way to make your own homemade toilet bowl cleaner.
What you will need to make the disinfect tablets:
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup of baking soda
- 25 drops of essential oils – you can choose your favorite, but orange and lemon are recommended as they have strong cleaning properties and provide a pleasant smell
- ½ cup cornstarch
- water in a spray bottle
- gallon size zip bag
- silicone ice mold
Instructions for disinfecting the toilet bowl:
- You must put all the ingredients except the essential oil in the bag and shake well.
- Open it and add 2-3 shots of the spray bottle with water, close again and knead.
- Repeat this 5-7 times. If your bag does inflate, you must release the air, as it is the result of the combination of citric acid and baking soda.
- Knead the mixture in order to become like the dough for a cake, add the essential oils and knead again.
- Then place this dough in the mold firmly, and let it dry for a couple of days.
- After two days, remove them from the molds and put them to dry in a high place for a couple more days.
- Then place them in a sealed container.
- When you have to use them, drop them down the toilet until they fizz, and you just have to use the brush to clean really well.
- Then rinse and the toilet bowl will be clean, fresh, and sanitized.