Kitchari is a traditional Ayurvedic dish, which is known for its ability to detoxify or cleanse the body and slow the aging of cells. The kitchari offers abundant nutrients and at the same time helps to remove the waste accumulated in the body from the body. This type of stew is made with mung beans, basmati rice, seasonal vegetables, ghee (or butter), and spices.
Recipe of nutritious and detoxifying kitchari
- 1 cup of basmati rice, if you can’t, you can use brown rice, but you will have to soak it a day before its preparation.
- 1 cup of mung bean or mung dahl (or 3/4 cup according to taste) You can substitute it for red lentils.
- 3 tbsp. ghee (clarified butter )
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger cut and crushed
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. asafoetida (hing) (doesn’t matter if you don’t have)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- 1 organic tomato, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 to 6 cups of water (depending on how creamy you want it)
(total cooking time: 30 to 40 minutes)
- Put the ghee in a pot and on low heat. When a delicate aroma begins to emanate (30 seconds to 1 minute), add the 2 tablespoons of cumin seed tea. Let them soak in the ghee for about 1 minute.
- Then add the mustard seeds and cover the pot (this seed explodes when heated). When the mustard seeds have stopped exploding, remove the lid (which will not be used again) and add the fresh, crushed ginger.
- When it begins to brown, add the tomato, peeled and finely chopped. At this time it may be necessary to add 1 or 2 cups of water. Later, add the rice and some more liquid. This should never exceed the level of the rice (the grain should stick out).
- After 5 to 8 minutes, add the mung bean. Add 1 or 2 cups of water if necessary, without exceeding the level of the rice and beans.
- Then add the coriander, ground turmeric and asafoetida. With a wooden spoon, stir the preparation periodically. At the end of cooking, add salt (if necessary). Cook until the rice and beans are soft, adding water as needed.
In conclusion, the Kitcheri is a very nutritious and digestible dish that supports the digestive system in a cleansing process , and offers essential nutrients. It is also an energizing and healthy food to include in your diet.