Chest congestion occurs when fluid and mucus builds up in the lungs, causing tenderness, pain, coughing, and shortness of breath. Chest congestion can lead to a productive wet cough or a dry cough. Anyone who has had lung congestion will tell you that it can be painful and exhausting as the constant coughing is very upsetting to the body. Keep reading because next you will learn how to use oregano to decongest the lungs by making a very powerful natural remedy in the form of tea.
Common causes of lung congestion
Bronchitis can be caused by viral or bacterial inflammation of the primary airways in the lungs or bronchial tubes. It can develop from a cold, or other respiratory infections.
Pneumonia can be caused by bacterial, fungal, parasitic, or viral infections in the lungs. Pneumonia can range from very mild to life threatening.
Properties of herbs to decongest the lungs
The amazing aspect of herbs is the variety of healing properties they offer. By matching the correct herbal properties to the symptoms you want to treat, natural remedies can be very successful.
Note that only a few herbs are mentioned here; Discussing it with your herbalist or healthcare professional will give the best results based on your symptoms.
- Analgesics – are used to relieve pain. Some examples include wild yam, lobelia, or skullcap.
- Antibiotics – Destroy or inhibit the growth of bacteria and viruses. Some examples include echinacea, goldenseal, or thyme.
- Flu – These herbs eliminate mucus formation. Examples include black pepper, mullein, and wild cherry bark.
- Antispasmodics – Helps prevent or relax muscle spasms. Examples include raspberry leaves, valerian, and blue cohosh.
- Demulcants – These are calming herbs like slippery elm, licorice root, and burdock.
- Expectorants – These herbs help the body expel mucus and include mullein, wild cherry bark, and anise.
Oregano benefits: a natural remedy for congestion
Many people may think of oregano as a cooking herb. Its medicinal properties, however, are quite extensive. With its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant benefits, some of its uses may surprise you. It is frequently associated with respiratory and immune health.
Oregano is a great source of vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as an excellent source of fiber. This herb is also high in folate, iron, manganese, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and B6.
Oil of oregano as powerful as antibiotics
Oregano’s antibacterial properties are a healthier alternative to traditional antibiotics for minor infections, which can lead to decreased vitamin absorption, antibiotic resistance, as well as eliminating beneficial gut bacteria.
There are many components that make oregano a powerful, lung-deicing and healing herb . Two of the most powerful chemical compounds are thymol and carvacrol . Why are these two components so important? Carvacrol is effective against numerous bacterial infections, and thymol stimulates the immune system and promotes healing. In fact, this study showed a significant and immediate improvement in the symptoms of upper respiratory diseases.
When to use oregano
It is always better to take proactive measures. As soon as you start to feel a cold or flu, have oregano tea. Oregano will boost your immune system, as well as relieve congestion and fatigue that can be associated with a cold or flu. Oregano is also a great fever reducer.
How to make oregano tea to decongest the lungs
- 4-6 tablespoons dried organic oregano leaves
- 2-3 cups of water
- 1 slice of organic lemon
- Organic raw honey to taste
- Put the water in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil on the stove.
- To turn off. Add the oregano leaves and infuse for three to five minutes and cool.
- Strain the leaves and add honey and lemon to taste, if desired.
- Drink hot throughout the day.
Other alternatives in the use of oregano
If you don’t like oregano tea, you can also buy it in tincture and supplement forms.
Using organic oregano oil
- Add 3-4 drops of oregano oil to a glass of water. Drink 2-3 times a day to improve your immune system.
- Add 3-4 drops of oregano oil to a glass of water and drink for a sore throat.
- Add 2-3 drops of oregano oil to your vaporizer or diffuser, inhale deeply to relieve nasal congestion and help with lung infections.
If you don’t have a vaporizer, simply add a few drops of oregano oil to a pot of steaming water and inhale the steam. This method is also very effective in decongesting the lungs.