Would you like to show off a spectacular gift for a baby that is about to be born? If so, you should think of something that you can do yourself that does not imply that you need to spend a significant amount of money.
It is one of the most sought-after crafts for those moms who have just given birth and seek to offer the best to their little offspring. We refer to baby clothes made by hand with the technique of knitting with two needles, in this case a blanket for the baby.
How to knit a baby blanket with two needles
From the little gloves, the hats, the blankets and finally; All the clothes that a baby may need can be made with this entertaining craft. Precisely on this occasion, we wanted to bring you a step by step so that you can learn to knit a beautiful blanket with the two-needle knitting technique.
Follow the step by step of this tutorial, so that you can make the gift you are going to give yourself.
- A ball of wool in the color of your choice.
- Two 4.5 mm knitting needles.
- Tissue marker.
- Pair of scissors.
1. First of all, we are going to learn to do the stitch step by step so let’s get to work: To knit this beautiful stitch, what we have to do is cast on an odd number of stitches, in this case I will cast on 11 , and we started.
2. First round, a right and a backhand and so on until the end, then pass it from behind to avoid that the first loop is too big; as always happens.
3. In the second round, we weave what we see: Where we see the knot we weave a reverse, where we see the vee in the little hole; we weave straight and so on until the end.
4. In the third round the same, we knit what we see: Where we see the hole with the right vee and where we see the knot with the hairline.
5. On the fourth round, which is the wrong side of the fabric; that is, the back (you know it because you have the assembly thread on the left side), we have the entire loop on the right.
6. Now, these four laps are repeated all the time and we would start over from lap number one.
7. To knit the blanket, you must take into account that its dimensions have been calculated for children ranging from newborn to 12 months of age.
8. This full-scale blanket will be about 90 centimeters wide x 74 centimeters long. As you can see, it is a rectangle to be assembled with 181 stitches and to knit about 232 laps.
It will have a bottom edge, top right and left, and it will be knitted on the right, only. In our case, we are going to do 36 laps on the right hand point and, when we get to lap 37, we will start to make the point that we already saw.
9. We are going to knit 28 first stitches and then we begin, a knit to a purl or a knit to a purl, as we have seen that the broken rib stitch is worked until we finish with a knit; and then we knit another 28 stitches garter stitch or santa clara. That’s our first round of the broken rib motif.
10. In the second round, it will always be the first 28 stitches from the knit and then we knit what we see: If we have finished with a right we will start with a backhand, a right to a backhand and so on; until finishing with a purl, and we knit the 28 edge stitches again in santa clara stitch or garter stitch.
11. Thus we knit until the fourth round, which is complete from the right side, and we start over. It is quite easy to do. It is very important that at the end you close all the points of the right. When you finish closing, you have to block the fabric.
To do this, you have to moisten the entire garment in cold water and let it absorb the water. Then, gently remove the water and, as a final step when it is finished drying, you must proceed to stretch it.